Natick, MA (Natick High School, Wilson Middle School, and Kennedy Middle School)
B.A. Degree in Technical Theatre or Stage Management and/or a minimum of three years’ technical experience in a performing arts environment is required
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain working theatrical spaces (auditorium, black box, and shop and theatrical storage areas) to ensure safety and functionality across three schools
- Monitors and inventories the condition of equipment including lighting, sound, rigging equipment, and theatrical draperies/curtains; arranges for the repair and replacement within budgetary constraints; performs preventive maintenance on equipment at the High School and both Middle Schools
- Communicate regularly with school administrative assistants, directors, and administrators on coordinating scheduling of the theaters and maintain the Google Calendar for all performance spaces
- Serve as a knowledgeable resource to administration, teachers, students, and community representatives who use the performance spaces
- Provide supervision of student actors and technical theater students during productions.
- Attend tech week rehearsals for all school productions
- Provide technical rehearsal notes to directors
- Train and supervise students, fine and performing arts staff, and community organizations in the safe and correct use of stage, lighting and sound equipment including show specific TD's at the Middle School level
- Coordinate vendors to support theatrical productions, including timeline for services from initial concept through load out.
- Train student leaders in technical theatre to provide coverage for school events and rentals by groups outside the school district
- Executing the technical elements of set design/construction, oversight of light, sound, and rigging for all Performing Arts department productions at Natick High School, Wilson Middle School, and Kennedy Middle School.
- Mentor student designers and provide support for their work.
- Maintain safe working space for all build sites.
- Proficient with ETC EOS console programming including LED and moving lights
- Proficient with Yamaha TF sound consoles
- Stay current with technical theater trends and technology.
- Teach High School Technical Theater course
- Demonstrate elements of design and safe construction techniques
- Instruct students on roles and responsibilities of stage management, lighting design, sound design and all build and run crew positions for a production
- Support technical elements of all other district theater courses
- Collaborate with Performing Arts faculty to develop and implement sequential curriculum in Technical Theater (Middle School through High School)
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Technical Theater preferred
- 2+ years experience preferred
- Or a combination of both
- Experience working with middle and high school aged students
- A portfolio of design work
- Possess design and build skills for theatrical sets
- Expertise to coordinate rented sets and props
- Working knowledge of current Technical Theater trends
- Experience creating and/or reading of build drawings and CAD programs
- Experience with power/hand tools and emerging technologies and equipment such as laser cutters and 3D printers
- Strong computer skills including knowledge of Google Workspace applications (Docs, Sheets, Calendar, Classroom)
- Familiarity with light and sound design applications (ETC applications, QLab)
- Exhibit a love of working with students in this age group
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Ability to work independently and within a team
- Capable of offering budget recommendations to the Director of Fine Arts for upkeep of technical equipment
- The ability to build a strong rapport with colleagues and serve as a collaborative team player
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Adherence to the highest level of professionalism by demonstrating honesty, integrity, and maturity
- Strong desire to become a member of the learning community
- Experience loading and driving a truck up to 26 feet.
- Moderate physical effort which may include frequent standing or walking, handling objects up to 50 pounds, occasional climbing, crawling or stooping, working at heights on ladders, catwalks and lifts, and the use of medium weight tools and materials
- Ability to work nights and weekends
Performance shall be evaluated by the Director of Fine Arts.
*Natick Public Schools is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic faculty committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from minorities and women.
|Primary Location||Natick High School|
|Salary Range||$56,000 - $65,000 / Per Year|